Obviously, the biggest part of any author’s platform is the book itself, so I was delighted to discover that The Irish Times newspaper is running a free, twelve week online series on how to write a book. Topics covered will include everything from language and setting to point of view and editing.
The series will feature interviews and writing tips from successful authors such as:
- Goldsmith’s winner Eimear McBride, who will discuss language
- 2010 Frank McCourt International Short Story award winner Ron Rash will talk about form
- Man Booker nominee Deborah Levy will also discuss form
- one of Granta’s “Top 20 under 40” Best of Young British Novelists, Ross Raisin, will give us hints and tips about character
- the writer of “Skippy Dies”, Paul Murray, will talk about dialogue (pun intended).
It promises to be an exciting line-up!
The series begins officially tomorrow, with tips on how to find ideas and inspiration.